Monday, March 8, 2010

1) The key component of teaching in the 21st century is change. Teachers must display and teach willingness to change and ability to effect change in an environment that seems to stagnate at times. This need for change is reflected in the graphic organizer designed around reforming of secondary schools. When is comes to restructuring schools I think that we have to have a clear goal for education and that the curriculum needs to be modified to fit that goal. The simple fact recall needed to complete today's high stakes standardized test is quickly becoming an obsolete skill in a world where information is only an iphone away. As powerful teachers we must accept that we are no longer the dispensers of information, but rather the facilitators in the creation of problem solving and civic minded citizens. The only way we can achieve this is by giving all students equitable access to the information and the skills necessary to be an equal member in our democratic society. I see ITUs as a major component of teaching in the 21st century because the old model of distinct subjects is antiquated. I also see community service and service learning projects that involve students and community members as vital for the continuation of an effective education system. The support and interaction of the community lends validity to a system that is often viewed as irrelevant by students. I don't know what the 21st century holds for education, but I am going in willing to learn the system, be part of the system and then change the system.

2) One small step that I am taking this semester is teaching U.S. history in a thematic rather than chronological fashion. The U.S. history course will be divided into domestic policy, civil rights, foreign policy and arts/literature/culture. Within each of those units we will follow a roughly chronological flow, but I'm excited to be teaching around themes rather than in a simple sequence. I think this will be great preparation for implementation of ITUs later in my career as well because I will already be working off of, and be willing to include, general themes in my classroom. My concern with teaching this way is that I am used to covering things in sequential order so I am going to have to relearn the material, and how to teach it, in a way that stays focused on the theme while also connecting to previously covered material. I feel that the students and I will be successful with this style because we will cover U.S. history in 4 different ways so more students will be able to connect to the material on some level. They will also rehash some of the same topics and time periods from different perspectives so they will have multiple reference or access points.

3) One thing I plan to do within my first two years is pilot, or participate in, an ITU. I think that making connections across content areas is important and validates all subjects being taught on campus. It also allows teachers to use the multiple intelligences model to improve status issues within the classroom and on campus. The ITU we planned for Keating's class was a week long, but I know that in conferring with my peers we will share many great ideas and I'm not sure how we will organize the ITU or how long it will be. I worry that it will be difficult as a new teacher to get other teachers on board, so I will either start small (maybe an English/history ITU) or try to get a more senior teacher to help implement it. Most students will enjoy a modification in the curriculum and the structure of their classes and will thrive in the student-centered atmosphere. Of course we (the teachers) will make sure to include the action research that supports our claims of success (hopefully) so that we can expand and improve the implementation of ITUs

4) One of my goals as an educator is to get students more involved in the community because it is beneficial for all involved. My sister is involved in Edible Schoolyard, an Alice Waters school garden/cooking program in Berkeley, and I would love to incorporate that into whatever school I am working at sometime down the road. American society has serious issues when it comes to eating and I think the Edible Schoolyard program helps educate them about growing their own food, cooking and eating healthy, and promotes sustainability and community well-being. This will require a fundamental restructuring of the school, both physically and psychologically, but I see it fitting in well with a pre-existing culinary arts class like the one they have at SDA. Edible Schoolyard-like programs can be an extension of ITUs and can be incorporated into all subject areas. It can even be expanded to a community garden or gardens that benefit society as a whole. I know this project will take a lot of work and funding but I also know I have a lot of time to work my way towards it. In the meantime I can work my way there by implementing ITUs, corresponding closely with my colleagues and community, and most importantly of all making connections with students.

5) Teaching of thematic history, ITUs and the incorporation of a program like Edible Schoolyard are all going to require some reform of secondary education. When I teach my thematic units this semester I will be establishing myself as a powerful teacher and creating somewhat new curricular paths. Within those units I will be providing comprehensive supports for all my students and assuring their success with comprehensive accountability and assessment. In order to implement the ITU I will be restructuring the school (scheduling), creating new curricular paths and acting as a collaborator rather than an isolated teacher of a subject. The Edible Schoolyard and community garden projects will completely change curricular paths, professional roles and the structure or goal of the school while still providing the support and accountability that all students need.

2 comments:

  1. Colin,
    I think your most important argument would be that of teachers' willingness to change. Like the reading that we just had, risk-taking will only take place when 'will' is involved. Also, I think the way you stated service-learning is important for student enrichment. Your ITU idea would be a perfect way to POSITIVELY change the role of education. I believe in your ideas and progressive thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, my friend, you're quite a writer. You tied so much back to that "2nd to None." GO. The ITUs, service learning, authentic assessment you alluded to all will make you a powerful teacher. BTW, I never knew that Alice Waters did an edible school yard! I'm going to check it out. Hopefully we can bring back some of the sanity to the way we view food. that's social justice in and of itself. Thanks again for the good write. I can't believe you just cranked that out so cohesively.

    ReplyDelete