Sunday, February 7, 2010

Reading Reflection 1 - Rethinking High School

I think the greatest measure of reform for the school was really just reducing the size. Most high schools now are well over 1000 and many as big as two or three thousand. That's nothing compared with the size of major universities, but it's still very easy to get lost in a school that size. The smaller school environment makes all the kids have a greater sense of belonging and community, which encourages them to be successful personally and as part of the whole.

The one area where they didn't have any major reform was general curriculum. The school still seems to focus on English, History, Math and Science but maybe they will get into more detail about what they are going to do in subsequent chapters. I think those divisions need to be broken down and made more relevant. Interdisciplinary Thematic Units are a start, but it seems to me that there might be a better way to divide the day and the coursework up (I just haven't figured it out yet).

The school is looking to empower students in their lives and their education, which is one of their components of reform. So many schools are worried about API and standardized test scores that they want to spoon feed students the information so the scores will go up. Unfortunately, this technique isn't effective and it does a terrible job of preparing students to be problem-solvers, college students, or just good citizens.

I'm really looking forward to getting students involved in the community and vice versa. One of the things I would really like to do is create a gardening/farming project (more Edible Schoolyard than FFA) because I think general nutrition in this country is pretty bad. One reason is often money, but the other is often ignorance. I think building community relationships, both with parents and local businesses, will benefit the school, students and community and I hope the book has some good pointers on how to make those connections.

1 comment:

  1. Belonging and community - agreed, and I think you saw a bigger school do pretty well with that at Vista. I agree a rebuilding of education, leaving behind the division of the disciplines as they are practiced now, will be a real reform. I do think this may occur in our professional lives; I honestly believe math education may lead this deconstruction (I mean by its failure).
    I am very happy you have plans in place. Definitely go forward with the gardening project. I wonder if a part of it could emphasize how students go out and build gardens in their own home or community...

    ReplyDelete